Friday 11 September 2020
The National Capital District has recorded one new COVID-19 case bringing Papua New Guinea’s total confirmed cases to 508.
The total number of cases in the nation’s capital has gone up to 297 followed by Western Province with 185.
Amidst the rise in the cases, Controller of the National Pandemic Response Mr David Manning has repeated his call for citizens to adhere to COVID-19 protocols.
He said people can protect themselves by practicing physical distancing in public places, regularly washing hands and wearing face masks.
Mr Manning further called for more testing to be done throughout the country.
He strongly urged all provinces to continue to submit samples for testing.
Meanwhile ,only 11 provinces are actively sending samples for testing.
To date, cases have been reported from 13 provinces in the country: NCD (297); Western Province (185); Central (7); Morobe (5); East Sepik (3); East New Britain (2); West New Britain (2); Milne Bay (2); and one case each from Southern Highlands, Eastern Highlands, West Sepik, New Ireland and Autonomous Region of Bougainville.
Mr Manning said that so far the majority of the cases are mild and moderate. PNG has five known deaths related to COVID-19.
Globally, the total confirmed cases are now 28,290,327 and the death toll stands at 912, 699. There was an increase of 275,182 confirmed cases in the last 24 hours.
In the Western Pacific region, a total of 15 countries/territories had confirmed cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total confirmed cases for the region to 535,727 cases and 11,594 deaths.
Media contact: Chief Superintendent Dominic D. Kakas, BEM, DPS
COVID-19 Media & Public Information Joint Agency Task Force
Mobile: 75430557 : Email: ddkakasgmail.com