Sunday 31 January 2021
Controller of the National Pandemic Response and Police Commissioner David Manning has called on all schools throughout the country to observe COVID-19 protocols as the 2021 academic year begins.
Mr Manning said every institutions from primary schools up to tertiary should observe measures in the new normal.
“All institutions must ensure that students comply to measures in the new normal under COVID-19.
“Washing of hands and wearing of masks must be enforced and institutions must ensure proper hand washing facilities are built in schools, Mr Manning said.
The measures in the new normal are as follows:
- Clean your hands often. Wash with soap and water or use an alcohol based sanitizer;
- Keep a physical distance of at least 1.5 meters between yourself and others;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
- Greet others with a smile, a nod or a simple hello-no handshakes, no fist bumps and no high fives;
- Cough and sneeze in your bent elbow and not your hands;
- Limit social gathering and time spent in crowded places;
- Wear a face mask or face covering in all public places to protect yourself and others; and
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Meanwhile, the country’s COVID-19 cases stands at 867 with nine known deaths.
A total of 42,789 people have tested for the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Eight hundred and twenty-eight people have recovered whilst 104 samples are pending at the laboratories. Thirty active cases are in isolation.
Sixteen provinces including the Autonomous Region of Bougainville (AROB) have reported cases. The distribution of the cases is as follows:
Provinces Confirmed Cases
Western Province 214
West New Britain 179
East New Britain 30
New Ireland 21
Eastern Highlands 13
Western Highlands 10
East Sepik 3
Milne Bay 2
West Sepik 2
Southern Highlands 1
Hela Province 1
Globally, the total confirmed cases of COVID-19 has reached 101,561,219 including 500,985 new cases reported in the last 24 hours.
The death toll is 2,196,944 of which 13,915 were reported in the last 24 hours.
Media contact: Chief Superintendent Dominic D. Kakas, BEM, DPS
COVID-19 Media & Public Information Joint Agency Task Force
Mobile: 75430557 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Police email: email@example.com
COVID-19 JATF email: firstname.lastname@example.org