Tuesday 1 September 2020
Controller of the National Pandemic Response, David Manning says more than half of the people who have tested positive for COVID-19 have not shown any signs and symptoms of the disease.
“This indicates that many people are carrying the virus and unknowingly spreading the virus to their families, friends and other people in the communities”
During his press briefing this afternoon, Mr Manning also announced that PNG’s total confirmed cases of COVID-19 remain at 460, as there are no new cases of COVID-19 reported in the last 24 hours.
“At this stage, 55.2 per cent of the people who have tested positive are asymptomatic, while the remaining positive cases comprise 44.8 per cent.
“Everyone is at risk of contracting COVID-19 because you cannot tell whether people around you are infected or not until they have been tested,’’ Mr Manning said.
He said today is day 77 of the ‘Niupela Pasin’ – a new way of living where health measures such as wearing of masks or physical distancing by 1.5 metres from the next person in shops, markets, buildings and crowds should already become part of us and our lifestyle.
“Big gatherings such as in stadiums, church conventions, sporting events and nightclubs where large groups of people congregate have proven to be sources of high transmission of COVID-19 in other countries.”
He urged the public to avoid these events or places while the pandemic is still spreading throughout the world.
Papua New Guinea has to-date a total of 460 positive cases of COVID-19, of which 5 have died and 232 recovered. The active cases stand at 223.
Out of the 22 provinces, 11 provinces have reported cases including: NCD (275); Western Province (166); Central (6); Morobe (5); East New Britain (2); West Sepik (1); Southern Highlands (1); AROB (1); New Ireland (1); and Milne Bay (1).
In NCD, there are currently 4 in patients at the Rita Flynn Isolation facility (2 mild, and 2 moderate) and 6 in patients at the Port Moresby General Hospital.
Of the six, 3 are mild cases; 2 are moderate and 1 is in a critical condition.
Mr Manning also highlighted today that globally, the total confirmed cases have reached 25,614,409 and a death toll of 854,020.
In the last 24 hours, there was an increase of 230,826 confirmed cases.
The Western Pacific region, where PNG is located, reported a total of 4,458 confirmed cases from 11 countries/areas in the region bringing the total confirmed cases to 496,779. It has a death toll of 10,734, of which 99 were reported in the last 24 hours. These came from 7 countries/territories which are Australia (41), Hong Kong (1), Japan (15), Malaysia (1), Philippines (38), Korea (1) and Vietnam (2).
Indonesia reported 2,743 new cases in the past 24 hours, bringing its total confirmed cases to 174,796. There were also 74 deaths which brought its death toll to 7,417.
Papua’s total confirmed cases of 3,796 cases and 43 deaths remain with no new cases reported in the last 24 hours.
West Papua reported 55 new cases in the last 24 hours, bringing its total confirmed cases to 807 and its death toll remains at 13.
“I appeal to every citizen and resident to continue to adhere to the health measures against COVID-19.
“At this stage, there is no medicine to treat COVID-19 and no vaccine to prevent it. Our only weapons are the preventive measures that we keep talking about.
“Wear a mask in shops, markets, buildings and in public where physical distancing is not possible.
“Wash hands with soap and water often. Cover your cough or cough into your bent elbow. Disinfect frequently used surfaces such as door knobs, work benches and personal items such as phones and laptops. Avoid going out unless you have to, and avoid crowds.
“Remember, we have vulnerable populations in our community – old people and people with other health issues like diabetes and heart problems.
“They are likely to get very sick if they catch COVID-19. We must protect them. Let’s work together. Together, as a nation we will be able to stop the spread of this virus,’’ Mr Manning said.
Media contact: Chief Superintendent Dominic D. Kakas, BEM, DPS
COVID-19 Media & Public Information Joint Agency Task Force
Mobile: 75430557 : Email: email@example.com