Thursday 4 June 2020
Emergency Controller David Manning has appealed to the people of PNG, visitors and businesses to cooperate with the Joint Agency Task Force to ensure PNG continues its low COVID-19 infection rate.
Mr Manning said this when he issued 13 new Emergency Orders on Tuesday to enable the PNG Government to continue its efforts to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic.
“These orders are necessary to ensure that we continue to stop COVID-19 from coming into the country and to stop it from spreading whilst allowing parliament to debate the new bill that will establish the protocols for everyone moving into the future with COVID-19.
“We all need to be vigilant and responsible,” Mr Manning said.
On Tuesday the Controller issued as his first emergency order the revocation of the 37 Emergency Orders issued previously under the nationwide State of Emergency. He subsequently issued another 12 new orders as well.
The new emergency orders were issued immediately following the National Parliament’s unanimous 80-2 decision yesterday to extend the State of Emergency for another 14 days. The previous SOE began on 23 March and ended on June 2, 2020.
The 13 new emergency orders are:
- Emergency Order No.1 – Revocation of all previous orders;
- Emergency Order No.2 – Business & Social Final;
- Emergency Order No.3 – International & Domestic Travel;
- Emergency Order No.4 – Provincial Coordination;
- Emergency Order No.5 – Continuance of public utility services;
- Emergency Order No.6 – Impounding of Aircraft, Vehicle & Vessels;
- Emergency Order No.7 – Seizure of certain goods;
- Emergency Order No.8 – Price Regulations;
- Emergency Order No.9 – Burial of persons;
- Emergency Order No.10 – Customs Duties;
- Emergency Order No.11 – COVID-19 Testing;
- Emergency Order No.12 – COVID-19 Surveillance & testing; and
- Emergency Order No.13 – Deferral of Goroka By-election.
The Emergency Orders can be viewed on the official website: covid19.info.gov.pg
Media contact: Chief Superintendent Dominic D. Kakas, BEM, DPS
Team Leader – COVID-19 Media & Public Information Joint Agency Task Force
Mobile: 75430557 Email: email@example.com