Friday 11 December 2020
Controller of the National Pandemic Response and Police Commissioner Mr David Manning has called on all citizens to adhere to the new normal or Niupela Pasin.
His call comes as travels during the festive season picks momentum.
“The COVID-19 global pandemic will not go away any time soon so the only defence for the people will be strict adherence to the new normal.”
Mr Manning made specific reference to the measures in the new normal calling on travellers to wear face masks or face covering in all public places to protect themselves and others.
Controller Manning further warns that failure to do so may result in the spread of Coronavirus disease especially at this time when most people are travelling home for the festive season.
“Every citizen regardless of whether you are travelling or not must take heed of the measures in the new normal to save yourself, your families and communities,” Mr Manning said.
The measures in the new normal are as such:
- Wear a face mask or face covering in all public places to protect yourself and others;
- Clean your hands often. Wash with soap and water or use an alcohol based sanitizer;
- Keep a physical distance of at least 1.5 meters between yourself and others;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
- Greet others with a smile, a nod or a simple hello-no handshakes, no fist bumps and no high fives.
- Cough and sneeze in your bent elbow and not your hands;
- Limit social gathering and time spent in crowded places; and
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Meanwhile, the country’s total number of cases to date stans at 720 with eight Covid -19 deaths.
Sixteen provinces including AROB have reported cases. The distribution of the cases is as follows:
|West New Britain||103|
|East New Britain||5|
Globally, the total confirmed cases of COVID-19 has reached 68,165,877, including 385,477 new cases reported in the last 24 hours. The death toll is 1,557,385; of which 6,171 were reported in the last 24 hours.
Media contact: Chief Superintendent Dominic D. Kakas, BEM, DPS
COVID-19 Media & Public Information Joint Agency Task Force
Mobile: 75430557 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Police email: email@example.com
COVID-19 JATF email: firstname.lastname@example.org